(HOLISHKES or PROKES)
1 large head of cabbage (1 pound)
1 cup canned, peeled tomatoes and liquid
1 15 oz. can tomato sauce
1 16 oz. can cranberry sauce
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 sliced onion
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup boiling water
1/2 cup brown sugar
dash cinnamon (optional)
small pieces of cabbage, chopped
1 pound ground turkey meat
1 cup cooked white rice
1/2 tablespoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 carrot, grated
1. Cook white rice. 1 cup will be needed.
2. Wash 1 large head of cabbage and cut out the hard core. Separate the leaves gently. Save unused cabbage pieces for the sauce.
3. Prepare the sauce: Sauté onion in oil until golden (not brown). Add the tomatoes, tomato sauce, cranberry sauce, raisins, boiling water, lemon juice, brown sugar, cinnamon and cabbage pieces and stir gently. Bring to boiling on Medium-Hi heat. Reduce heat to simmer and cook for 1/2 - 1 hour.
4. Boil water in a large (4 quarts or larger) pot. Add cabbage leaves. Simmer for 10 minutes. Drain.
5. While cabbage is simmering, make meat mixture. Combine turkey meat, cooked white rice, egg, 1 grated carrot, 1/2 tablespoon onion powder, and 1/4 teaspoon salt.
6. To stuff cabbage: Place a tablespoon of filling mixture on the rib of a cabbage leaf, near the base. Fold base of leaf over filling and roll once. Fold sides toward center to enclose and make straight edges. Continue rolling until completed. Gently place seam side down in a baking dish (which has some sauce on the bottom).
7. When all rolls are in dish, pour sauce over them.
8. Cover dish tightly with foil and bake at 350 F for two hours.