61/2 cups flour
1 envelope quick rise yeast
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1/2 tablespoon salt
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
11/2 cups warm water (1250-1350)
1. Combine 51/2 cups flour, 1 envelope quick rise yeast, 1/2 cup sugar and 1/2 tablespoon salt in a large bowl. Mix slowly.
2. Add 3 tablespoons oil, 2 eggs and 1/2 teaspoon almond extract. Mix.
3. Slowly add 11/2 cups warm (approx. 1300) water. Stir. Slowly add more flour, 1/2 cup at a time to form a dough. Usually 1 cup is needed, but may be more or less.
4. Turn onto floured board and knead until smooth and elastic (about 5 minutes).
5. Grease bowl with vegetable oil. Place dough in bowl and turn to coat. Cover with plastic wrap or damp cloth. Set in a warm place to rise 1 hour or until doubled.
6. Punch down. Cut in half. Knead each 2 minutes. Let rest 10 - 30 minutes until it rises slightly.
7. Cut each piece into 5 sections (making 3 of them slightly larger then the other two). Roll the 3 large pieces into 12" lengths. Braid the three pieces. Form the two smaller pieces into a braid. Tuck ends to gether. Repeat with other portions of dough.
8. Place on greased baking sheet. Let rise 30 minutes, brush lightly with beaten egg; sprinkle with seeds.
9. Bake 35-45 minutes at 350 F or until browned. Cool 5 minutes. Remove to wooden board. Cool 30 more minutes. Wrap in foil or plastic wrap.