1 jar gefilte fish (whitefish and pike)
2 onions, sliced
1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
1/2 teaspoon sugar (or
1 teaspoon almond extract
parsley, to garnish
- Wash individual fish patties gently with cool water; drain in a
- Place onions and carrots in a large pot or electric kettle. Cover with
water (approx. 3").
- Bring water to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for about 8-10 minutes.
- Add salt, white pepper, sugar and almond extract.
- Stir / add fish patties.
- Simmer for 1 hour covered.
- Refrigerate with the water.
- Serve without water.
- Garnish with 2-3 carrot slices and a sprig of parsley.
- Serve on a lettuce leaf with horseradish on the