4 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 - 1 cup sugar
pinch of salt
1 cup margarine, softened
1 tablespoon orange juice
1 teaspoon orange ring (or rind of 1 medium orange)
1 pound lekvar (prune or apple butter) or 1 pound strawberry or apricot preserves or 1 jar cherry pastry filling or 1 pound prepared mohn (poppy seed) filling.
1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
2. Grease cookie sheets.
3. Place all ingredients in a large mixer bowl and beat together. You may add a drop more juice or flour, depending on the consistency of the dough.
4. Roll dough into a ball. Divide into four parts.
5. On a floured board or counter roll out each portion to about 1/4" thick. Using a round biscuit or cookie cutter or cup, cut approx. 3" circle.
6. Place on greased cookie sheet. Spoon 1/2 teaspoon filling in the middle of each circle.
7. To shape into triangle, lift up the right & left sides, leaving the bottom down, and bring both sides to meet at the center above the filling.
8. Bring top flap down to the center to meet the two sides. Pinch edges together.
9. Bake in a 350 F preheated oven for approx. 20 minutes or until lightly browned.
Yields 4 dozen Hamantashen.