3 pounds boneless brisket
6 oz. dried apricots
2 tablespoons olive oil
6 oz. yellow raisins
1 large onion, chopped
3/4 cup orange juice
1/4 cup honey
4 medium sweet potatoes
6 lemon slices
6 small white potatoes
pinch of cinnamon
1 tablespoon salt
pinch of ginger
1 package pitted prunes (12 oz.)
1. Trim any fat from the brisket and wash thoroughly. Salt with kosher salt. Cut into 10-12 square pieces. Set aside.
2. Slice the onion and brown it until golden brown in olive oil in a heavy skillet on top of the stove. Remove the onions. In the same pan, brown the meat on both sides. Add more oil if necessary. Place the meat and onions in a 3 quart roasting pan.
3. Wash and peel the carrots. Cut each diagonally into 3 pieces. Wash and peel the sweet potatoes and the white potatoes. Cut the sweet potatoes in quarters and the white potatoes in half.
4. Preheat oven to 350 F.
5. Put the carrots, sweet potatoes and white potatoes in a large pot or kettel. Cover with water, and par-boil gently for 10 minutes.
6. Add pitted prunes, dried apricots and raisins to the vegetables. Cover.
7. While the fruit puffs up, (2 - 3 minutes) mix in a separate bowl the orange juice, honey, cinnamon and ginger.
8. Remove the fruit and vegetables from the pot with a large slotted spoon and place around and on top of the brisket and onions. Cover with 11/2 cups of the liquid in which the vegetables were cooked, plus the orange juice mixture.
9. Top with 6 lemon slices.
10. Cover tightly with foil and bake for 21/2 hours or until the meat is fork-tender.